Part 1: Study the academic vocabulary list from Lesson 9. Make sure you know the correct spelling for each word. Please copy down any terms you still don’t understand and look them up via Google Translate, www.translate.google.com, or an English dictionary such as www.dictionary.com .
Part 2: Match the Words with their Definitions
a. a characteristic or quality that is associated with someone or something
b. to evaluate or judge the quality, value, or importance of something
c. to put together or gather things into one place or group
d. to achieve or reach a goal or objective
e. to connect or fasten one thing to another
f. to make someone feel confident or certain about something
g. a person’s way of thinking or feeling about something or someone
h. to give someone a particular task or responsibility
i. to believe something is true without having proof or evidence
j. to help or support someone in completing a task or achieving a goal
Part 3: Vocabulary in Context: Sentences
1. Assembling a team of experts from different fields was key to resolving the complex issue.
2. Upon assessing the patient’s medical history and symptoms, the doctor ordered a series of tests to determine the cause of the illness.
3. The teacher needed to assign a challenging project that would allow each student to showcase their strengths and develop new skills.
4. The volunteer organization relied on many young people to assist with fundraising efforts and community outreach.
5. Based on past behavior patterns, the detective assumed the suspect knew more than they were letting on.
6. The CEO made it a point to assure employees that their hard work and dedication did not go unnoticed, and would be rewarded accordingly.
7. The climber double-checked that all his safety gear was properly attached before scaling the mountain.
8. Through diligence and perseverance, the artist was able to attain critical acclaim and commercial success in her field.
9. The employer appreciated the positive attitude displayed by the job applicant during the interview process.
10. The remarkable success of the company was largely due to the entrepreneurial attribute of the founder, who took great risks to bring innovative ideas to market.
Part 4: Vocabulary in Context: Conversations
Excuse me, could you assist me in assembling this bookshelf?
Of course, I’d be happy to help. Let’s get started.
We need to assess the situation before making any decisions.
That’s a good point. Let’s gather more information first.
I need to assign different tasks to my team members.
Have you considered everyone’s strengths and weaknesses?
I can assure you that the project will be completed on time.
That’s great to hear. I appreciate your dedication.
Many people assume that learning a new language is difficult.
Yes, but with practice and dedication, it can be achieved.
What attitude do you think is necessary for success in business?
I believe a positive and resilient attitude is crucial.
We need to attach the file to the email before sending it.
Okay, let me just double-check that the file is complete.
I’m confident that we can attain our goals if we work together.
I agree. Let’s set achievable targets and stay focused.
She has a very positive and optimistic attribute.
Yes, her attitude is contagious and inspires others.